Non-verbal Messages Allow People To:
- -Reinforce or modify what is said in words. For example, people may nod their heads vigorously when saying “Yes” to emphasise that they agree with the other person, but a shrug of the shoulders and a sad expression when saying “I’m fine thanks,” may imply that things are not really fine at all!
- -Convey information about their emotional state.
- -Define or reinforce the relationship between people.
- -Provide feedback to the other person.
- -Regulate the flow of communication, for example by signalling to others that they have finished speaking or wish to say something.